week 20

Hyperthermia

When it comes to cancer treatments, there’s no magic bullet.

It’s a systematic disease and it demands a 360-degree re-evaluation of your emotional and physical health, your shopping basket, your make-up bag, your drinking water and your relationships.

Many people have written to me in the last week sharing their own bespoke cancer programmes. The thing they all have in common?

There’s no ONE thing they’re doing. Most people are choosing a three, or four-pronged attack – whether its enzymes, coffee enemas and hydrogen peroxide or Chinese mushrooms, the Budwig Diet and prayer.

Mum has tried (and stuck with) many things over the last few months – from Vitamin C injections and Qi gong, to the Rife Machine and Archangel Michael (shout-outs to Tony Norgrove for the introduction).

One thing she hasn’t tried is hyperthermia.

But for many people, this therapy is as close to ‘magic’ as medicine comes.

You Give Me Fever

Back in 1868 a Dr Peter Busch, a German-American doctor, found that one of his cancer patients miraculously recovered after suffering a raging fever.

And…?

Well, since then, other cancer patients have experienced  ‘spontaneous remission’ following a high temperature – including Jordan Harden, who had acute lymphoblastic leukaemia.

After aggressive chemotherapy and an experimental stem-cell transplant both failed, Jordan (who was only three years old at the time) was given weeks to live. His parents were about to take him on a ‘final’ family holiday to Disneyland when they received news that Jordan… no longer had cancer.

Days before Jordan’s final scans, he had a fever of 38.1 degrees.

We now know that a high temperature (usually around 42 degrees) can kill off cancer cells and leave healthy cells intact – even conventional doctors agree on that point.  In fact, you’ll find a list of scientific references to heat therapy on the National Cancer Institute webpage.

Not only does high heat devastate cancer cells, it also activates the body’s immune system to fight the disease.

It’s the same as when we have the flu and get a high fever, it’s our body’s way of shaking off the bug.

So what is Hyperthermia?

Hyperthermia involves exposing the body to high temperatures using different types of energy – including microwave, radiofrequency and ultrasound.

Dr Alexander Herzog, from the Special Hospital for Integrated Oncology and Hyperthermia Centre in Germany, explains how the treatment works in the movie Cancer Is Curable Now:

‘ There are many studies showing that the heat creates conditions where the immune system works better, the local hyperthermia helps to develop heat shock proteins on the surface of the tumour cells, making them more visible to the attacks of the immune system.’

At another renowned German clinic, the Klinik St Georg in Bad Aibling,  the doctors have been successfully treating cancer patients with hyperthermia since 1992.

Yes, that long ago!

While most of us were ‘Jumping Around’ to House of Pain and head banging to Nirvana, these Bad-Ass doctors from Bad-Aibling, were giving a second chance to cancer patients given a death sentence.

At St Georg, the doctors use a variety of techniques to ‘cook’ cancer cells.

In the case of ‘local hyperthermia’ an electrode sends a specific radiofrequency through the body and the waves are caught and converted into heat.

Whole Body Hyperthermia,’ on the other hand, involves a patient’s entire body being heated for around six hours.

In Cancer is Curable Now Dr Friedrich Douwes, the head of St Georg, talks about his success in treating cancer patients with metastases ‘in the bones, lungs and liver,’– in those cases he reportedly uses small amounts of chemotherapy too.

But many people coming to St Georg are having hyperthermia as a stand-alone treatment.

Lance, 71, from Australia, is one such person. He traveled to the clinic 12 months ago, after being diagnosed with prostate cancer. I recently had the pleasure of speaking with him about his experience.

How did you hear about hyperthermia?

‘I just searched and searched online. A lot of my friends have had prostate surgery and I know about all the horrible side effects – you hear about them becoming incontinent and walking around wearing nappies.

So I sent away for various books, and I heard about all these different clinics in Europe and in Mexico – eventually I came across St George.’

How much did it cost?

‘It cost $8000 dollars for the treatment, which you can’t get back on Medicare, and then there’s the cost of flying there. They put me up for a fortnight and I had some intravenous vitamin C and then two sessions of prostate hyperthermia – lasting three hours each. After that they said: ‘You’re ok, you can go home.’

What does Prostate Hyperthermia involve?

‘It’s just a probe that goes through the urethra tube into the bladder and heats the prostate up to a temperature that destroys the cancer cells.

They turn the switch on and it’s totally painless – you just sit there while the machine does its electronic wiz-bo, you can’t feel anything. It also kills any fungus and mould that’s been there for years. So you come out as clean as a whistle and like an 18 year old again!’

Who Goes There?

‘They’re doing a roaring trade with Americans and Europeans. But unfortunately a lot of people go there as a last resort. There were some people going in there in wheelchairs and breathing in oxygen masks, totally destroyed by chemo.

In those cases, the first thing the doctors do is try and de-sludge them of all that gunk (with IV vitamin C, de-toxing foot baths, re-mineralization and more) and within the first week they’re walking around minus the wheelchair and feeling on top of the world, and then, and only then, would they do the hyperthermia.’

Your results?

‘My PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) was 48 before I went there, and when I came back it was 00.1

But the PSA is really only a sign of inflammation. The more revealing test is something called the PCA 3, which only tests for cancer cells. 12 months ago the reading was 37 and when I came back it was 4.

My doctor said ‘Forget cancer, it’s gone.’

So no regrets then?

‘The hyperthermia is fantastic but while I was at the clinic they also gave me injections to block off my testosterone. If I had my chance again I’d refuse the injections. It sent my estrogen levels through the roof and just about killed my testosterone. The old theory that testosterone causes cancer is a load of rubbish.’

To read more about why testosterone might actually be a good thing, click here

Lance wasn’t the only Aussie at the German clinic. While he was there a female oncologist from Sydney came to check it out.

‘ She had a look at everything and said ‘it’s absolute madness that we don’t have this in Australia!’

According to Lance, this doctor is currently fighting the TGA tooth and nail to get a machine into Australia – to no avail.

‘Our top doctors – they’re handcuffed,’ Lance said.

…Head-banging stuff.

For comments click here

Disclaimer

23 Responses to Hyperthermia

1. Tricia Willis says:

Thx for such fantastic, easily readable and accurate info. Wish it had been so easily accessible 4 yrs ago when I said no to chemo n radiation! There is just such a minefield out there and it is really tough getting on top of things like you seem to have done.
    With regard to the film Cancer is Curable Now there is a free worldwide webinar this weekend. Just check this link to find out more – it is a click here to join link but is free:
    All the best with your Mum – sounds like you will have many wonderful years together!
    Warm Regards
    Tricia

2. Tory says:

Awesome information!! I wish we had been aware of this when mom was still fighting. Im totally looking forward to reading more. Good luck to you and your mom :)

3. Paul says:

Local Hyperthermia has been available at the Tara Centre in Perth for the past 7 years. http://www.taracentre.com.au

4. Pingback: Documentaries, the new drugs? | Mum's Not Having Chemo

5. John says:

I’m sorry but my patience has worn out with the criminals stopping the itroduction of these therapies such as full body hyperthermia into Australia. They must be named and shamed. People know who they are. We need to take concerted legal action against them as a group of Australians who have lost, or could lose, loved ones and friends to this curable disease.

I have brought my sick wife from Australia to Germany at great expense and none of it claimable on Medicare or our private health cover. We get 20% back on our tax. There were 12 Australians here when we arrived, more than any other nationality – what a sad reflection on our “health system”.

I have full confidence that the treatment will work as I have seen miracles occur in the month we have been here. Patients coming in in wheelchairs, stricken with breast cancer and metastases in the bone, walking out with no cancer left after several treatments.

The holistic and supportive nature of the treatment is in complete contrast to the criminally simplistic administration of chemotherapy to already immune-compromised and weakened human beings, We are indeed a sick country when we can find tens of millions of dollars of taxpayers’ money for V8 car races but not even $2m for a hyperthermia pilot. The price of a suburban house in Sydney!

6. emily says:

There is also a Hyperthermia machine in Melbourne. My mother had a consultation this morning. I have been wanting her to go to Germany for treatment for some time, but now we have found that you can have the hyperthermia in Melbourne. I do agree though that it is disgusting that these so called ‘alternative’ treatments are not covered by health insurance. My parents have spent $1000 a week since February this year for my mothers ‘alternative’ treatments with only being able to get the 20% back on tax as mentioned. I also recently spent time in an incredible Ayurvedic centre in Sri lanka , where I met a retired German radiologist… I asked what he thought of the treatment and he said, ‘it works remarkably well’… I hope one day Ayurveda treatments will be covered on Australian health insurance, like it is by some German ones!

7. klyte says:

Hi Emily,

I would like to know where the centre is in Melbourne as well – my mum is fighting cancer and I would love her to be able to get the treatment in Australia as we cannot afford the expense of sending her to Germany or the USA.

thank you!

8. klyte says:

Hi Emily,

My Mum is about to start radiation and then chemo in Sydney after scans that revealed cancer near the brain, her sternum and her back and I would LOVE to know where it is in Melbourne your mother is being treated! Please respond!!
    Thank you!!

9. laura Bond says:

Emily has kindly passed on the details of the place that offers Hyperthermia in Melbourne:

Niim Wellness Clinic
    759 Burwood Road
    Hawthorne East
    Vic
    Australia
    3123

03 98040646

10. Steve says:

Hi Everyone,

The link to our Hyperthermia clinic in Melbourne, Australia is: http://integrativeclinic.com.au/node/10
    The main website (the National Institute of Integrative Medicine): http://www.niim.com.au/

NIIM is a not-for-profit, so any proceeds go to further research into these therapies to get the acknowledgement they deserve. NIIM is directed by Professor Avni Sali, a highly regarded integrative surgeon and former Head of Surgery at the Department of Surgery, Heidelberg Hospital teaching department (Melbourne University).

As far as I am aware, NIIM houses the only machine of its kind in Australia. It is a large machine, installed in a custom built facility with large copper faraday cages etc. It is operated under supervision of medical doctors, with a specially trained technician. Several other adjunctive treatments are also available at NIIM.

11. Pingback: Beating Breast Cancer Naturally | Mum's Not Having Chemo

12. Leonor says:

Hello everyone, I am glad I have read this magnific blog! This is my first time writing and I would like to say a few things:
    FIRSTLY, PLEASE TRY HYPERTHERMIA, IT WORKS AND IT IS PAINLESS!! MOREOVER THE DOCTORS AND NURSES AT NIIM ARE AMAZING!!!
    I was diagnosed last year at the age of 31 with a little baby of only 5 months with breast cancer. I am from Argentina but I am living in Melbourne. My story is long but what I would like to say is that I was lucky to get in contact with Dr. John Piesse, Prof. Avni Sali and Dr. David Spall at NIIM. I have been doing hyperthermia at NIIM in Melbourne for the past 7 months, and it is truly amazing!! Unfortunately, I did a bit of chemotherapy and the same day I had 1 hour of whole body hyperthermia. I honestly did not have side effects from chemo. I am currently having it only the days I am having Herceptine (a monoclonal antibody commonly prescribed to breast cancer patients with HER2 positive)
    Hyperthermia is expensive but painless and effective!!! Despite my oncologist’s suggestions I have chosen not have radiotherapy (nor hormonal therapy), instead I am doing local hyperthermia, again it feels hot in the area (in my case the breast!), but it is painless and worthy!!
    I have changed my diet, I meditate daily and I try to live a simple life.
    I really hope more and more people in Australia can know about this clinic with several years of experience in cancer research and treatments. Remember they also have IV of Vit C and others!….How lucky we are that it is all here in Australia!!
    Light and love to all of you!!
    Leonor

13. Pingback: The Nocebo Effect | Mum's Not Having Chemo

14. Pingback: Poly-MVA | Mum's Not Having Chemo

15. Barbara says:

does anyone know of a clinic in the UK offering Hyperthermia, please

16. Kym says:

Hi
    I have just been told i have breast cancer
    Awaiting bone scans. Hopefully ok. How much
    did the treatment cost at the Melbourne
    Clinic? They want to do chemo reducing
    The size of cancer( 4.8cm )then breast off
    Then radiation.

Thanks
    Kym

17. Leonor says:

Dear Kym I am sorry to read that you have been diagnosed with breast cancer, I hope the scans came ok. The treatment depends on the patient’s type of cancer, etc, so the price can varies, but you can get an appointment and explain your situation, it is worthy. I am over 1 year after my diagnose and all my test came clear and good. I did Vitamin C, Iscador and Hyperthermia. As well as a super healthy diet and daily meditation. Everything is possible!! I would suggest to contact the clinic NIIM urgently you will be in good hands!!!!!!
    Love and strengh,
    Leonor

18. Pingback: Rebounding | Mum's Not Having Chemo

19. Arlene says:

Has anyone gone for whole body hyperthermia for lyme disease? I know some have gone for lyme and cancer and are now free of both. We have two kids with lyme and are seriously considering taking them both to Fach Clinic in Germany for WBHT. We are in the USA.
    Thanks!